Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Johnny Depp would be hot doing anything, so screw you Michael Eisner!

How can you hate the perfection
that is Captain Jack? Sure he needs
a shower, but still...
Johnny Depp: 'Disney hated Jack Sparrow'

Actor Johnny Depp has said that his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean was not liked by Disney bosses.

I’ve actually read this before. Rumor is they were going to fire him, but Bruckheimer convinced them to let him do his thing. Good thing you listened to him, huh Disney?

In an interview with Vanity Fair, the actor said former chief executive Michael Eisner "couldn't stand" the way he interpreted the role.
Seriously, Eisner is, by many, to be thought of as the downfall of Disney, so who gives a damn what he thought? Let’s put this in perspective – Eisner is out, Depp is still in and playing Jack Sparrow for the fourth time. Seems to me like Johnny’s still laughing all the way to the bank.

Depp went on to earn an Oscar nomination for his performance.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Michael Eisner. Yeah, once he got that nomination you liked his performance, didn’t you? Once you saw how much money the Pirates movie made, you liked his performance, didn’t you? What the hell do you know, anyway, Michael Eisner? Seeing as how you got fired, I would venture to say, not much.

As far as the award nomination goes … I knew he wouldn’t win, especially given the nature of the movie for which he was nominated, but I would have loved to have seen it.  He’s been nominated for Best Actor three times (once for Pirates, for J.M. Barrie in Finding Neverland – of which he was phenomenal, and for Sweeny Todd) and I think the man deserves to win. He’s an amazing actor, and the main reason he doesn’t win is because he walks to the beat of his own drummer, and we all know the Academy doesn’t always reward that. I, however, applaud it.

A Disney spokesman said the company "could not be happier" with his work.
Well, duh. He made them a shit-ton of money with his work, I’m sure they are happy. Had this spokesman said something during the filming of the first one, I’m sure it would have been PC, but perhaps not quite so positive.

"The entire team at Disney could not be happier with Johnny Depp's performances in the Pirates trilogy which is why we are so excited to be bringing back a fourth installment to audiences next summer," he added.

“The entire team at Disney could not be happier with Johnny Depp’s performances in the Pirates trilogy – and all the money we made as a result – which is why we are so excited to be bringing back a fourth installment to audiences next summer – which will bring us even more money,” he meant.

"I think it was Michael Eisner, the head of Disney at the time, who was quoted as saying, 'he's ruining the movie'," Depp said.
Johnny Depp ruin a movie. Impossible.

The actor also revealed that Mr Eisner had questioned whether he was "some kind of simpleton" or even drunk when acting in the movie.
Grammar Nazi moment: See the Mr up there? Direct copy/paste from the original story – it’s missing the necessary period to make it an abbreviation.

I’ve also heard that Eisner questioned if he was portraying Sparrow as gay. (Homophobe much, Eisner?) Who the hell cares??? It was an awesome performance.

Depp famously based the character on the Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, who appeared in Dead Men's Chest, which was the sequel to the first film.
The movie, which also starred Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, was a huge box office success and a third film, At World's End, was released in 2007.

Reporter side note: This is one thing I don’t miss doing, and that’s stating the obvious. Whenever you write a story, even if it’s part of a series, you always do a summary of the previously-known information for anyone who missed the beginning of the series – or in this case, lived under a rock for the last three years. I always hated it because you can only rewrite something so many ways before you are just doing nothing but repeating yourself. That and to someone reading these stories, it seems like a duh, so why bother? They don’t know it’s standard procedure, it just looks stupid to them.

Depp is currently filming a fourth installment - On Stranger Tides - which is due out next year.

I’m excited because I hate the ninny Will was, so I’m excited for a movie that’s all Captain Jack and less about ninny Will and his obsession with Elizabeth. I’m so glad he and Kiera Knightly decided not to come back for this one. (Side note, I’m not anti-Kiera Knightly – I think she’s insanely beautiful and has the most perfect cheekbones I have ever seen. But her little romance with Will was more than just a little irritating.)

---
And - just because it's my blog and I can, here's a gallery of Johnny Depp shots for you all to drool over, since I know this blog entry is far from my usual biting sarcasm - I must redeem myself somehow. Enjoy.

All I have to say is ...  
damn that Vanessa Paradis is one mighty lucky woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment