Sunday, December 26, 2010

I have a blue box ... wish they weren't jerks though.



A few months back, I found out they were opening a Tiffany & Co. factory within 10 miles of my house. Imagine my excitement that Tiffany - the Tiffany - would be operating here in Kentucky. (Does that tarnish their reputation?) That's when I made the random statement that I always wanted something from Tiffany - I didn't care what, I just wanted something so I could say I owned something Tiffany and I had the box to sit on my dresser to prove it. (No, smartasses, I did not want an empty box - though, I admit, that's better than no box at all!)


So, for Christmas this year, Scott actually bought me something from Tiffany's to fulfill that wish. It's a beautiful silver doughnut-style ring (silver was all he could afford - I have seen their prices, I get it ... but I've always been a silver/white gold/platinum girl, so I was totally fine with it).

The bigger surprise came three hours later when I went to wash my hands and I noticed my finger turned green. A green finger from Tiffany's??? Surely not.

I pen a very nicely worded e-mail to Tiffany's customer service, informing them that I was shocked by this, and was hoping there was something they could do. After all, getting an attitude wasn't going to do much for me besides tick them off and raise my blood pressure. Not worth it.

And, true to the promise, I did receive a response within 24 hours. Below, their response:

Dear Trysh Thompson,

Tiffany & Co. understands your concern regarding the sterling silver

ring that has turned your skin green.

I am sorry you have had a reaction. Our silver is 92.5% silver with the

remaining element being copper. You may be sensitive to copper and
therefore have had a reaction.  Sometimes with sterling silver jewelry
there may be different alloys used and the combination may not affect
you.

We would be happy to return the item for you, please contact one of our

representatives at 1-800-843-3269.

I don't want to return it ... I never once said I wanted to return it (furthermore, it's engraved, it can't be returned). I said I wanted them to do something to help - like offering rhodium plating or telling me something I could do to fix it (besides tainting my beautiful Tiffany ring with clear nail polish which is a fix for cheap costume jewelry - not Tiffany jewelry). Nor did I ask why it happened. I don't care why it happened, I just want it to stop happening.

Gee, thanks Tiffany's.

To be fair, they were nice about it. But still, what a let-down. However, in true "girl" fashion, no, this has not turned me off from the Tiffany brand, if someone handed me another blue box with a white bow, I'd gladly take it instead of saying, "Screw them, they are jerks." :)

I have since googled what to do when a ring turns your finger green and I have found many other girls who have suffered the same fate of a Tiffany ring (so at least I'm not alone), and I found a handful of "tricks" to do that don't involve nail polish.

I did, however, feel the need to share my story - as you all know how much I LOVE great customer service.

Punks.

Though, I have to admit if it was me, how much would I be willing to deal with people the day after Christmas either, especially those bitching about a $195 ring when we all know they sell items for well north of the $1,000,000 price range. Yeah, I guess they take precedence.

No comments:

Post a Comment